New Trek Movie Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Knights Who Gamealot Forum Index » McIntyre's Lounge View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Trek Movie Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert)
 PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

There were quite a few funny, cool, neat references to the old Trek series that I truly enjoyed in this flick. I'll post what I remember, but I'm sure there are tons more that will come out after repeat viewing.

- Did anyone notice the color of the guys shirt who fell past the drill? Yup, he was a red shirt.
- Kirk sleeping with a green alien. Priceless.
- Mccoy, in general really nailed it, except I didn't hear any "He's dead Jim" comments.
- Uhura and Spock was a shocker that I didn't expect.
- The old bug in the ear think was replaced with his mouth - a little disappointed in that one.
- The scale of the ship they were building was great to see.
- Scotty's line "I'm doin' the best I can Captain"
- Spocks "Fascinating"
- Checkov's attempt to say the letter "V"
- Capt/Adm Pike in a wheelchair
- The old Spock's line at the end, about his usual farewell being self serving
- I liked the more realistic chaos and less sterile atmosphere on the bridge

Some disappointments too though:
- Zachery Quinto can't raise just one eyebrow, I guess. Even though those are some huge caterpillars over his eyeballs.
- Scotty couldn't possibly have just come on board, gone into the transporter room and displaced the regular crew there, then become head of engineering all that quickly. I know it's a battle and promotions happen quickly, but that was a bit too much too soon.
- What the hell was that engineering alien? At least he only got a little screen time.
- One movie and all the major characters are in place, even though all but Spock were ensign's or not even on board before that. And this is the flagship?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Apprentice
Jedi Apprentice

Cr.

I took my mom to see it as a Mother's Day present and liked it. I'm not sure if I consider it to be the same timeline as "my" Trek (that being the movies, TNG, DS9 and Voyager) but it was properly entertaining.

For the most part my breakdown concurs with e-bob's; however, I liked the alien in Engineering (though perhaps the little screen time he got was the right amount).

Uhura and Spock was an unexpected, pleasing difference.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Re: New Trek Movie Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert)
 PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

e-Bob wrote:
Some disappointments too though:

- Scotty couldn't possibly have just come on board, gone into the transporter room and displaced the regular crew there, then become head of engineering all that quickly. I know it's a battle and promotions happen quickly, but that was a bit too much too soon.

That is nothing compared to Kirk being promoted to Captain from a Cadet at the end of the movie and passing Spock the Commander
who was described as the best and the brightest, and he got nothing.

Good movie though.

Re: New Trek Movie Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert)
 PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

e-Bob wrote:
- Uhura and Spock was a shocker that I didn't expect.

Oh, I saw that one coming from their first scene together when she complains that he was assigning her to a different ship. Their relationship was one of my favorite bits in the movie AND it has precedence in the original series. Remember the times Uhura would sing and Spock would play his Vulcan lyre? And there was a blink-and-you-miss-it reference once to Spock being Uhura's mentor. It only takes a tiny tweak to turn that into a romance.

Besides, Nichelle Nichols said in interviews over the years that Uhura was modeling her career on Spock's and looked up to him. When then asked about Kirk she said that yes, Kirk is the one she'd have fun with in different circumstances but Spock was the one she'd get serious about.

e-Bob wrote:

- What the hell was that engineering alien? At least he only got a little screen time.

New Trek's version of an Ewok? I know an Ewok-loving friend of my reacted to it the same way, sooooo. I'm not really stretching with that comparison, btw. The writers and director all went on record beforehand as saying they were Star Wars fans growing up, not Trek fans, so Ewoks are in their brains (so to speak).

The actors did a great job, IMO, and the movie was enjoyable so long as you don't think too closely about it. That's never an option for me (Plot holes jump out at me and I memorized the trivia book for the original series out of boredom while in a body cast for six months), especially when I go with 5 other people who can spout canon and spot logic holes with equal skill.

But really, it felt like a Trek movie made for non-Trek fans. I know they wanted to draw in new viewers -- and I agree with that -- but it could have been done differently and without throwing out the entire timeline as we know it. As a comic book reader, I'm used to characters and series being rebooted, but a genuine reboot means you can keep the good bits. This was a defacto reboot that essentially dumped everything so in trying to make the series accessible, they threw the baby out with the bath water.

I also don't like the fate of Vulcan or Amanda. One or the other would have been bad enough. Both is too much. Besides I don't think Trek needed a "9/11 moment" as one of the writers and the producer called it.

And don't even get me started on the "shaky" (I'm being generous) science.

e-Bob wrote:
- One movie and all the major characters are in place, even though all but Spock were ensign's or not even on board before that. And this is the flagship?

Yeah, that's another problem. No cadet, especially one who went through in 3 years, is going to get his own ship that fast no matter what he saves, let alone a ship like the Enterprise.

It was a fun movie to watch with actors doing a stellar job in the thankless task of taking over for beloved performers and it looks like this will inject new life into the franchise but really, they could have gotten just as much juice out of a different pilot (they might even been able to have kept chunks of this one) that would have given them manuevering room for the future without dumping everying we know.

Besides, at this point after having gone to the well far too many times for generally inferior results, they really should have avoided messing with the time-space continuum AGAIN. Once I had a sense for where the story was going, all I could think about was the reaction of the federation time police ("Great! Kirk's not bad enough. Now he's corrupted Spock, too!").

"We walk in dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One. We die for the One."

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

Here's a few more "holes" that I pulled from another site. Not that I'm nitpicking, but I thought there were some interesting plot point alternatives mentioned:

1 - Once Nero's in the past, the whole vendetta thing should be dropped. Why doesn't he go to Romulus and warn them what's going to happen - they have 125 years plus a ship from the future (the mining ship) to try and change that Supernova. Maybe Romulan High Command then decide to relocate their Empire into Federation territory and that creates the war/conflict for the movie.

2 - Are we really supposed to believe Nero just waited around for 25 years for Old Spock to fall through time??? He's captain of a mining ship - would he even know enough about time-travel physics to know that Old Spock WILL reappear at some point? And the rest of the mining crew just sit tight for 25 years??? And where do they hang out - are they in Romulan space? If so, why are Federation ships there? And why aren't Federation ships sent back to investigate this big-ass ship? Supposedly they're just sitting there for 25 years....

3 - That had to have been a moon of Vulcan that Old Spock was stranded on; no way could Vulcan have appeared that large in the sky otherwise. So, if it was a moon of Vulcan, what the hell was Mr. Scott doing there, acting as if he'd been abandoned for six months or a year? And if it was a moon of Vulcan, what's it doing with a breathable atmosphere? If it was a moon of Vulcan, it surely would have been sucked into the black hole minutes after Vulcan was destroyed...or the gratitational flux would have destroyed all life on the surface or broken the moon into tiny pieces, or....

4 - Old Spock meets Young Spock...but why don't we ever see Old Spock speak with his father?

5 - Why didn't Old Spock mind-meld with Young Kirk and implant his knowledge there and insist Young Kirk then mind-meld with Young Spock when he returns to the Enterprise. Seems risky to rely entirely on trying to get Young Spock provoked and beat the crap out of Young Kirk....

6 - Just how long did it take to get from Earth to Vulcan? Seemed like 10 or 15 minutes....I always had the impression Vulcan was at least a week or two away from Earth at Warp 5 or 6.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Knights Who Gamealot Forum Index » McIntyre's Lounge

Page 1 of 1