Mini Role-Playing Convention at Ravenblood Games (Plainview)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Knights Who Gamealot Forum Index » Other Conventions View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

It will take place Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 28-30) and they're looking for extra GMs. They already have several but those GMs want to be able to play, too. The mission statement is "The idea behind this "con" is for all of us to get to sit on both sides of the screen and introduce some people to our favorite games and to get some serious roleplaying in!"

Pete, the store owner, will also be offering a 10 percent discount all weekend.

They plan to run a minimum of three games per session, perhaps more. The schedule is as follows:

Friday
Early Afternoon: Registration, Game table sign-ups begin
5pm-9pm: Session 1

Saturday
12pm-5pm: Session 2
5pm-9pm: Session 3

Sunday
12pm-5pm: Session 4
5pm-9pm: Awards, thanks yous, and goodbyes!

The con itself is not being run by Ravenblood. Instead it's being organized by a gaming group I belong to and Pete is volunteering his store so it's a win/win scenario -- Pete gets fresh traffic and the con has a home. Anyway, I don't want to post the organizer's contact info here in public so if you're interested in running, contact me here or offlist and I'll put you in touch with the organizers.

Best of all, as of now, admission is FREE. As a courtesy to Pete for allowing free use of his store, a lot of the games being run will be games still in print over previous versions of games (so if someone tries it and likes he, Pete can get a sale), but that's not a requirement. Plus, Star Trek is kind of stuck at the moment since out-of-print versions are the only ones available so running Trek is perfectly fine. Still, this might be the time to run a Traveller game, Paranoia, etc., which are readily available at the store, rather than a long-dead game.

As I've said before, the shopping center Ravenblood is located in has great food, so that makes life easy and there's another shopping center with more options next door.

So if you don't want to get involved in holiday shopping hell that weekend (I always avoid it like the plague), consider the con. It sounds like fun and a lot of the people participating are fun.

Let me know who's interested in running games and I'll hook you up. If you just want to play, mark your calendar and show up.

"We walk in dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One. We die for the One."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

Sounds great to me . Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote  
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cr.

Hey guys, I know people are busy but I'm genuinely shocked at the lack of response -- even to say that it's a bad weekend. After all this is a FREE con, both to play and run, and there are no requirements for running a minimum number of games.

I brag about your games all the time at Ravenblood. Come on, run a game at the con and prove me right. Wink

Speaking of which, I've got one woman SERIOUSLY interested in Paranoia and the rest of the crowd at Ravenblood seems up for almost any game so if you schedule it (whichever game you want to make "it"), they will come. Smile

And out of print games are prefectly acceptable as I said before. Pete even said in a recent discussion on another topic that people don't have to feel obligated to run games that have new merchandise for him to sell. He just likes to encourage role-playing.

In fact Jimmy's going to running an obscure RPG in which in the players are actors in a sci fi/horror movie so if your character gets killed, no big deal. He gets another role. My description sounds lame but the game actually looks like fun.

So let me know who's interested in running something and I'll put you in touch with the organizer. Feel free to repeat something from the past, too, since this is a fresh crowd for you. Or you could test run something for ICON 2009. Just a thought.

Oh, when in doubt, a lot of people at Ravenblood like D&D -- both 3.5 and 4.0 versions and the place has the usual number of Trek and Star Wars fans, sooo.

"We walk in dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One. We die for the One."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Knights Who Gamealot Forum Index » Other Conventions

Page 1 of 1